By Kelly Marshall
Curiosity killed the cat and it may also kill your pet dog.
Dogs have an innate sense of adventure in testing and tasting the things in and around their home, which often lands them in trouble. We are not just talking about trouble from you as their owner, but potential health threats from ingesting potentially toxic substances.
Most dog owners think they only have to keep chocolate away from their pets. But you will be surprised and alarmed to know that many seemingly harmless substances can actually cause your dog’s death.
Danger around the corner
Look around your home, garden and yard. You will be surprised at the many possible dangers lying in wait for your pet dog, which include the following common household items:
• Antifreeze, brake fluids and engine coolants contain ethylene glycol, which is toxic even at a small concentration of 3 ounces. Effects of ingestion include severe damage to the liver, kidneys and brain.
• Rat poison and other rodent killers inhibit blood clotting in dogs, leading to severe internal hemorrhages. Plasma transfusion within the next few hours is essential to counteract the poison and prevent death.
• Fertilizers, even those that have apparently been absorbed by the soil, can result cause faster pulse rate, blood pressure changes and breathing difficulties.
• Insecticides are also toxic substances for dogs and can cause lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea. Take your dog to the vet immediately if he’s exposed.
• Certain plants like English ivy, lilies, daffodils and holly may look good in our eyes but are dangerous.
Ask your veterinarian about other substances that can cause side effects to your dog’s particular breed. That way, you can take the necessary measures to protect your pet dog from ingestion and exposure to these substances.
Now that you know the most common items around the house with toxic consequences on your dog, your next step is to ensure that these things are beyond their reach. Or preferably, absent from your house.
• Keep all toxic substances like antifreeze, brake fluids and engine coolants as well as fertilizers and insecticides out of the dog’s reach. Lock them away. If you have small children, this will also keep them out of harm’s way.
• Wipe up any possible spills of the above mentioned substances. For example, if the antifreeze drips from the car’s radiator, wipe it off the floor before your dog laps it up like milk.
• Try to avoid keeping plants inside the house that may harm your dog’s health.
Keep your dog healthy. Take the time to keep potential poisons out of his way.
Kelly Marshall is a featured author on Oh My Dog Supplies. For more articles by Kelly visit Oh My Dog Supplies.