By Kelly Marshall
There are many foods that are considered to be dangerous to a dog’s health.
All dogs enjoy food – not only does it provide them with the nutrition that they require, but it also appeals to their senses. This is especially true of foods that dogs observe their owners consuming.
It is not at all uncommon for a dog owner to provide their pet with a little food now and then from what they are eating, but it is important to know and understand that several foods that may prove to be especially dangerous to a dog’s health.
Any type of food that contains chocolate could prove to be highly dangerous to the health of a dog.
Chocolate intoxication is the name of the condition that commonly affects canines. There are two different ingredients that are contained in chocolate that could result in this condition. The first ingredient is called “caffeine” and the second ingredient is called “theobromine”. It has been established that both of these ingredients belong to the chemicals that are identified as “methylxanthines.”
It is important to understand that if a piece of chocolate is extremely dark, it contains a large number of these chemicals. Symptoms that may be experienced when a dog suffers from this type of intoxication include gastrointestinal complications, vomiting, and seizures.
Onions and Onion Related Products
Dogs that eat products such as onions and products that are part of the onion family may suffer from health complications as a result of doing so.
Examples of products that may be toxic to dogs in one way or another include garlic, scallions, and various types of onions such as yellow onions, red onions, and Vidalia onions. If these food products are consumed, the red blood cells in a dog’s body may become damaged.
If an onion or onion related product is strong, it indicates that there is a strong level of toxicity associated with the products. Dogs that experience this complication may suffer from body weakness, sore muscles, and even unusual looking bowel movements and urine.
There are many different types of foods that contain mold. Many different types of molds that grow and thrive on various foods produce an assortment of toxins.
If a food contains the toxin that is identified as “Tremorgenic Mycotoxins,” it could be extremely dangerous to their health. If you are unable to consume a certain type of food because it has mold on it, it is important that you avoid giving that food to your dog.
If your dog becomes infected with toxins from mold, it is likely that you will start to see them suffer from tremors in the muscles. Eventually, the entire body will be affected.
Once this type of intoxication progresses, it could lead to seizures in your dog. If you find that your dog starts to exhibit any symptoms associated with food intoxication, it is important that you seek medical care so that the issue may be dealt with promptly.
Kelly Marshall is a featured author on Oh My Dog Supplies. For more articles by Kelly visit Oh My Dog Supplies.
Want to learn more?
Consider adding “How to Have a Healthy Dog” to your library. Get your copy at DoggyDivas.com.